World Quality Report 2018-19
by Niall Crawford
World Quality Report 2018-19
The results from the 10th anniversary edition of the World Quality Report are conclusive: 99% of respondents are now using DevOps practices in their organizations.
It appears the focus is no longer on whether to move to DevOps; rather on how to refine their DevOps approach and improve continuously.
World Quality Report 2018-19 Findings:
- Customer satisfaction is front and center – Participants in the WQR reported that ‘Ensure user satisfaction’ is at the top of their QA and testing strategy. This would have been unthinkable ten years ago. But with customer-centered innovation driving digital transformations and the adoption of agile, DevOps, and a move to the Cloud, it is also resetting the expectations for testing.
- Challenges with test environments are holding back quality assurance and software testing efficiencies. A problem further exasperated by industry trends like reduced test cycles and releasing more regularly.
- The skills required for quality assurance and software testing have changed. Adoption of agile and DevOps, as well as technologies such as AI, Internet of Things (IoT) and blockchain, all require specific technical expertise, and teams must be prepared to acquire these new skills, whether by training their existing team members, or hiring specialists into the team.
Key Test Environment Insights
Test Environments continues to be a problem for most.
Key Test Environment Challenges Identified in the report include:
- 54% Cost of test environments
- 54% Defects due to test environment misconfiguration
- 38% Lack of test environment booking facilities
- 37% Having to maintain multiple test environment versions
- 34% Lack of visibility on what can’t be tested due to environments
- 31% Lack of right environments being made available on time
Page 36 Test Data & Environments Management.
Use Enov8 to Innovate your Test Environment Management
Enov8 provides a complete platform for addressing organisations “Test Environment” challenges through “Enterprise IT Intelligence”. Providing advanced “out of the box” IT & Test Environment Management, Release Management and Holistic Data Management capabilities.
Niall is the Co-Founder and CIO of Enov8. He has 25 years of experience working across the IT industry from Software Engineering, Architecture, IT & Test Environment Management and Executive Leadership. Niall has worked with, and advised, many global organisations covering verticals like Banking, Defence, Telecom and Information Technology Services.
We often get asked by people “What is TEM (Test Environment Management), well for those of you looking for a quick overview of Test Environment Management, here is Use Case we developed as a way…
19 MARCH, 2020 by Michiel Mulders SRE vs DevOps: Friends or Foes? Nowadays, there’s a lack of clarity about the difference between site reliability engineering (SRE) and development and operations (DevOps). There’s definitely an overlap between the roles, even though...
06 MARCH, 2020 by Arnab Roy Chowdhury Top 10 SRE Practices Do you know what the key to a successful website is? Well, you’re probably going to say that it’s quality coding. However, today, there’s one more aspect that we should consider. That’s reliability. There are...
20 FEBRUARY, 2020 by Arnab Row Chowdhury Technically, the world today has advanced to a level we never could’ve imagined a few years ago. What do you think made it possible? We now understand complexities. And how do you think that became possible? Literacy! Since...
14 FEBRUARY, 2020 by Michiel Mulders A site reliability engineer loves optimizing inefficient processes but also needs coding skills. He or she must have a deep understanding of the software to optimize processes. Therefore, we can say an SRE contributes directly to...
07 February, 2020 by Arnab Roy Chowdhury Do you remember what Uncle Ben said to young Peter Parker? “With great power comes great responsibility.” The same applies to companies. At present, businesses hold a huge amount of data—not only the data of a company but also...