World Quality Report 2018-19
by Niall Crawford
World Quality Report 2018-19
The results from the 10th anniversary edition of the World Quality Report are conclusive: 99% of respondents are now using DevOps practices in their organizations.
It appears the focus is no longer on whether to move to DevOps; rather on how to refine their DevOps approach and improve continuously.
World Quality Report 2018-19 Findings:
- Customer satisfaction is front and center – Participants in the WQR reported that ‘Ensure user satisfaction’ is at the top of their QA and testing strategy. This would have been unthinkable ten years ago. But with customer-centered innovation driving digital transformations and the adoption of agile, DevOps, and a move to the Cloud, it is also resetting the expectations for testing.
- Challenges with test environments are holding back quality assurance and software testing efficiencies. A problem further exasperated by industry trends like reduced test cycles and releasing more regularly.
- The skills required for quality assurance and software testing have changed. Adoption of agile and DevOps, as well as technologies such as AI, Internet of Things (IoT) and blockchain, all require specific technical expertise, and teams must be prepared to acquire these new skills, whether by training their existing team members, or hiring specialists into the team.
Key Test Environment Insights
Test Environments continues to be a problem for most.
Key Test Environment Challenges Identified in the report include:
- 54% Cost of test environments
- 54% Defects due to test environment misconfiguration
- 38% Lack of test environment booking facilities
- 37% Having to maintain multiple test environment versions
- 34% Lack of visibility on what can’t be tested due to environments
- 31% Lack of right environments being made available on time
Page 36 Test Data & Environments Management.
Use Enov8 to Innovate your Test Environment Management
Enov8 provides a complete platform for addressing organisations “Test Environment” challenges through “Enterprise IT Intelligence”. Providing advanced “out of the box” IT & Test Environment Management, Release Management and Holistic Data Management capabilities.
Niall is the Co-Founder and CIO of Enov8. He has 25 years of experience working across the IT industry from Software Engineering, Architecture, IT & Test Environment Management and Executive Leadership. Niall has worked with, and advised, many global organisations covering verticals like Banking, Defence, Telecom and Information Technology Services.
31MARCH, 2021 by Ukpai UgochiSo, As the leader of a DevOps or agile team at a rising software company, how do you ensure that users' sensitive information is properly secured? Users are on the internet on a daily basis for communication, business, and so on. While...
24MARCH, 2021 by Taurai MutimutemaKnowledge is more important than ever in businesses of all types. Each time an engineer makes a decision, the quality of outcomes (always) hangs on how current and thorough the data that brought about their knowledge is. This...
15MARCH, 2021 by Carlos SchultsIn today’s post, we’ll answer what looks like a simple question: what is data fabrication in TDM? That’s such an unimposing question, but it contains a lot for us to unpack. What is TDM to begin with? Isn’t data fabrication a bad thing?...
19 FFEBRUARY, 2021 by Carlos Schults "You can't improve what you don't measure." I'm sure you're familiar with at least some variation of this phrase. The saying, often attributed to Peter Drucker, speaks to the importance of metrics as fundamental tools to enrich and...
08 FEBRUARY, 2021 by Zulaikha Greer Data is the word of the 21st century. The demand for data analysis skills has skyrocketed in the past decade. There exists an abundance of data, mostly unstructured, paired with a lack of skilled professionals and effective tools to...
04 JANUARY, 2021 by Ukpai Ugochi Have you ever wondered what would happen if you mistakenly added bugs to your codes and shipped them to users? For instance, let's say an IT firm has its primary work tree on GitHub, and a team member pushes codes with bugs to the...