World Quality Report 2018-19
by Niall Crawford
World Quality Report 2018-19
The results from the 10th anniversary edition of the World Quality Report are conclusive: 99% of respondents are now using DevOps practices in their organizations.
It appears the focus is no longer on whether to move to DevOps; rather on how to refine their DevOps approach and improve continuously.
World Quality Report 2018-19 Findings:
- Customer satisfaction is front and center – Participants in the WQR reported that ‘Ensure user satisfaction’ is at the top of their QA and testing strategy. This would have been unthinkable ten years ago. But with customer-centered innovation driving digital transformations and the adoption of agile, DevOps, and a move to the Cloud, it is also resetting the expectations for testing.
- Challenges with test environments are holding back quality assurance and software testing efficiencies. A problem further exasperated by industry trends like reduced test cycles and releasing more regularly.
- The skills required for quality assurance and software testing have changed. Adoption of agile and DevOps, as well as technologies such as AI, Internet of Things (IoT) and blockchain, all require specific technical expertise, and teams must be prepared to acquire these new skills, whether by training their existing team members, or hiring specialists into the team.
Key Test Environment Insights
Test Environments continues to be a problem for most.
Key Test Environment Challenges Identified in the report include:
- 54% Cost of test environments
- 54% Defects due to test environment misconfiguration
- 38% Lack of test environment booking facilities
- 37% Having to maintain multiple test environment versions
- 34% Lack of visibility on what can’t be tested due to environments
- 31% Lack of right environments being made available on time
Page 36 Test Data & Environments Management.
Use Enov8 to Innovate your Test Environment Management
Enov8 provides a complete platform for addressing organisations “Test Environment” challenges through “Enterprise IT Intelligence”. Providing advanced “out of the box” IT & Test Environment Management, Release Management and Holistic Data Management capabilities.
Niall is the Co-Founder and CIO of Enov8. He has 25 years of experience working across the IT industry from Software Engineering, Architecture, IT & Test Environment Management and Executive Leadership. Niall has worked with, and advised, many global organisations covering verticals like Banking, Defence, Telecom and Information Technology Services.
08 OCTOBER, 2019 by Michiel Mulders Preamble You’ve probably seen some recent articles asserting that the world’s most valuable resource is no longer oil—it’s data. New internet titans like Google, Amazon, Apple, Facebook, and Microsoft look unstoppable. In fact,...
25 SEPTEMBER, 2019 by Mark Henke DevOps is overall a healthy practice for most development teams, but it doesn’t come for free. Enterprises are eager to adopt the practice but their tools often lag behind DevOps practices. This is a bit like walking out into the...
25 AUGUST, 2019 by Jane Temov Data security, The problem is scale & a lack of bees One of the biggest challenges of securing one’s enterprise data is the sheer volume. Think about it. Hundred (perhaps Thousands) of Applications, Thousands (perhaps Tens of Thousands)...
13 AUGUST, 2019 by Jane Temov So, you’ve been asked to write a “Test Environment Management Plan”? Or perhaps you just want to write a plan to baseline your current non-production processes, outline future test environment strategy and/or educate those around you. *...
02 AUGUST, 2019 by Eric Olsson Preamble Software is buggy. It's a bold claim, I know. Sarcasm aside, the battle to keep your applications up and running is ongoing. Wouldn't it be nice if you had a way to eliminate an entire class of bugs from your application?...
15 JULY, 2019 by Peter Morlion Martin Fowler AntiPattern "An antipattern is a solution that initially looks like an attractive road lined with flowers... but further on leads you into a maze filled with monsters." Since the dawn of computers, we’ve always had to...