World Quality Report 2018-19
by Niall Crawford
World Quality Report 2018-19
The results from the 10th anniversary edition of the World Quality Report are conclusive: 99% of respondents are now using DevOps practices in their organizations.
It appears the focus is no longer on whether to move to DevOps; rather on how to refine their DevOps approach and improve continuously.
World Quality Report 2018-19 Findings:
- Customer satisfaction is front and center – Participants in the WQR reported that ‘Ensure user satisfaction’ is at the top of their QA and testing strategy. This would have been unthinkable ten years ago. But with customer-centered innovation driving digital transformations and the adoption of agile, DevOps, and a move to the Cloud, it is also resetting the expectations for testing.
- Challenges with test environments are holding back quality assurance and software testing efficiencies. A problem further exasperated by industry trends like reduced test cycles and releasing more regularly.
- The skills required for quality assurance and software testing have changed. Adoption of agile and DevOps, as well as technologies such as AI, Internet of Things (IoT) and blockchain, all require specific technical expertise, and teams must be prepared to acquire these new skills, whether by training their existing team members, or hiring specialists into the team.
Key Test Environment Insights
Test Environments continues to be a problem for most.
Key Test Environment Challenges Identified in the report include:
- 54% Cost of test environments
- 54% Defects due to test environment misconfiguration
- 38% Lack of test environment booking facilities
- 37% Having to maintain multiple test environment versions
- 34% Lack of visibility on what can’t be tested due to environments
- 31% Lack of right environments being made available on time
Page 36 Test Data & Environments Management.
Use Enov8 to Innovate your Test Environment Management
Enov8 provides a complete platform for addressing organisations “Test Environment” challenges through “Enterprise IT Intelligence”. Providing advanced “out of the box” IT & Test Environment Management, Release Management and Holistic Data Management capabilities.
Niall is the Co-Founder and CIO of Enov8. He has 25 years of experience working across the IT industry from Software Engineering, Architecture, IT & Test Environment Management and Executive Leadership. Niall has worked with, and advised, many global organisations covering verticals like Banking, Defence, Telecom and Information Technology Services.
01 JULY, 2020 by Diego Gavilanes Ever since the dawn of time, test environments have been left for the end, which is a headache for the testing team. They might be ready to start testing but can’t because there’s no test environment. And often, the department in...
29 JUNE, 2020 by Carlos Schults In today’s post, we’ll discuss data literacy and its relevance in the context of GDPR. We start by defining data literacy and giving a brief overview of GDPR. Then we proceed to explain some of the challenges organizations might face...
23 June, 2020 by Arnab Roy Chowdhury In this digital era, online businesses have become mainstream. Consequently, online commerce has flourished—and led to loads and loads of data! Businesses need to build data centers to store information. Not only that, but if you...
08 JUNE, 2020 by Eric Boersma Every company needs a disaster recovery plan. This is just a simple fact of life. Your company needs to know how to recover when something breaks or you can’t get access to something you need. In larger, more advanced tech companies,...
25 May, 2020 by Daniel Longest Zombie and ghost assets sound exciting, like a late-night movie you’d watch around Halloween. While in reality they may not be that exciting, they’re scary if you don’t understand and prevent them. The good news is the steps you need to...
05 May, 2020 by Eric Boersma Taking on Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) is not an easy task. It doesn’t matter where you’re coming from. Some organizations have done a little DevOps and are trying to break into SRE. Others haven’t even taken that step, and figure...