World Quality Report 2018-19
by Niall Crawford
World Quality Report 2018-19
The results from the 10th anniversary edition of the World Quality Report are conclusive: 99% of respondents are now using DevOps practices in their organizations.
It appears the focus is no longer on whether to move to DevOps; rather on how to refine their DevOps approach and improve continuously.
World Quality Report 2018-19 Findings:
- Customer satisfaction is front and center – Participants in the WQR reported that ‘Ensure user satisfaction’ is at the top of their QA and testing strategy. This would have been unthinkable ten years ago. But with customer-centered innovation driving digital transformations and the adoption of agile, DevOps, and a move to the Cloud, it is also resetting the expectations for testing.
- Challenges with test environments are holding back quality assurance and software testing efficiencies. A problem further exasperated by industry trends like reduced test cycles and releasing more regularly.
- The skills required for quality assurance and software testing have changed. Adoption of agile and DevOps, as well as technologies such as AI, Internet of Things (IoT) and blockchain, all require specific technical expertise, and teams must be prepared to acquire these new skills, whether by training their existing team members, or hiring specialists into the team.
Key Test Environment Insights
Test Environments continues to be a problem for most.
Key Test Environment Challenges Identified in the report include:
- 54% Cost of test environments
- 54% Defects due to test environment misconfiguration
- 38% Lack of test environment booking facilities
- 37% Having to maintain multiple test environment versions
- 34% Lack of visibility on what can’t be tested due to environments
- 31% Lack of right environments being made available on time
Page 36 Test Data & Environments Management.
Use Enov8 to Innovate your Test Environment Management
Enov8 provides a complete platform for addressing organisations “Test Environment” challenges through “Enterprise IT Intelligence”. Providing advanced “out of the box” IT & Test Environment Management, Release Management and Holistic Data Management capabilities.
Niall is the Co-Founder and CIO of Enov8. He has 25 years of experience working across the IT industry from Software Engineering, Architecture, IT & Test Environment Management and Executive Leadership. Niall has worked with, and advised, many global organisations covering verticals like Banking, Defence, Telecom and Information Technology Services.
12 DECEMBER, 2019 by Carlos Schults The software development process today is very different from what it used to be 15, 20, or even more years ago. One of the most dramatic of such differences is undoubtedly the number and frequency of releases. Agile practices have...
26 November, 2019 by Carlos Schults Your Essential TEM Checklist “Test Environment Management Checklist.” Yep, that sounds like a mouthful, but don’t let that discourage you. The idea here is quite simple—adopting a checklist to evaluate the soundness of your test...
18 NOVEMBER, 2019 by Carlos Schults Test data management is vital for achieving a healthy test automation strategy, yet many professionals are still not familiar with the term. They don’t know what the concept means, nor why it’s so important. But why would that be a...
03 NOVEMBER, 2019 by Arnab Roy Chowdhury DevOps, a word that combines “development” and “operations,” is a business process that shortens the time taken to gather customer feedback. Besides, it also enables progressive software delivery and helps clients grab market...
30 OCTOBER, 2019 by Erik Dietrich Measuring TEM Capability in Your Enterprise Once upon a time, testing your software was easy. Or, at least, relatively speaking, it was. Your team would write some code, tag an unreleased version of the software, build it, and hand it...
22 OCTOBER, 2019 by Eric Boersma If you're like a lot of developers, you might not think much about software security. Sure, you hash your users' passwords before they're stored in your database. You don't return sensitive information in error messages. Each time you...