World Quality Report 2018-19
by Niall Crawford
World Quality Report 2018-19
The results from the 10th anniversary edition of the World Quality Report are conclusive: 99% of respondents are now using DevOps practices in their organizations.
It appears the focus is no longer on whether to move to DevOps; rather on how to refine their DevOps approach and improve continuously.
World Quality Report 2018-19 Findings:
- Customer satisfaction is front and center – Participants in the WQR reported that ‘Ensure user satisfaction’ is at the top of their QA and testing strategy. This would have been unthinkable ten years ago. But with customer-centered innovation driving digital transformations and the adoption of agile, DevOps, and a move to the Cloud, it is also resetting the expectations for testing.
- Challenges with test environments are holding back quality assurance and software testing efficiencies. A problem further exasperated by industry trends like reduced test cycles and releasing more regularly.
- The skills required for quality assurance and software testing have changed. Adoption of agile and DevOps, as well as technologies such as AI, Internet of Things (IoT) and blockchain, all require specific technical expertise, and teams must be prepared to acquire these new skills, whether by training their existing team members, or hiring specialists into the team.
Key Test Environment Insights
Test Environments continues to be a problem for most.
Key Test Environment Challenges Identified in the report include:
- 54% Cost of test environments
- 54% Defects due to test environment misconfiguration
- 38% Lack of test environment booking facilities
- 37% Having to maintain multiple test environment versions
- 34% Lack of visibility on what can’t be tested due to environments
- 31% Lack of right environments being made available on time
Page 36 Test Data & Environments Management.
Use Enov8 to Innovate your Test Environment Management
Enov8 provides a complete platform for addressing organisations “Test Environment” challenges through “Enterprise IT Intelligence”. Providing advanced “out of the box” IT & Test Environment Management, Release Management and Holistic Data Management capabilities.
Niall is the Co-Founder and CIO of Enov8. He has 25 years of experience working across the IT industry from Software Engineering, Architecture, IT & Test Environment Management and Executive Leadership. Niall has worked with, and advised, many global organisations covering verticals like Banking, Defence, Telecom and Information Technology Services.
03 JULY, 2019 by Justin Reynolds Even since the agile manifesto was published in 2001, software development has never been the same. In a pre-agile world, software was released in monolithic packages every year or every two years. The agile approach to development...
20 MAY, 2019 by Mark Henke It’s a great step when teams deliberately manage their deployments instead of treating them as second-class citizens to writing code. But there are many pitfalls to managing deployments effectively. Many things lurk, waiting to trip us up....
08 MAY, 2019 by Mark Henke Taking enterprise release management seriously is a great step toward helping our organization flourish. Embracing release management will allow us to make the invisible visible. We’ll be able to effectively manage how work flows through our...
04 MAY, 2019 by Rodney Smith If you work in an organization that uses the scaled agile framework (SAFe), chances are it's not a small company. It's enterprise-y. It's probably gone through some growing pains, which is a good problem to have in the business sense. The...
29 APRIL, 2019 by Carlos "Kami" Maldonado "DevOps at scale" is what we call the process of implementing DevOps culture at big, structured companies. Although the DevOps term was coined almost 10 years ago, even in 2018 most organizations still haven't completely...
24 APRIL, 2019 by Mark Robinson It’s the normal case with software buzzwords that people focus so much on what something is that they forget what it is not. DevOps is no exception. To truly embrace DevOps and cherish what it is, it’s important to comprehend what it...