World Quality Report 2018-19
by Niall Crawford
World Quality Report 2018-19
The results from the 10th anniversary edition of the World Quality Report are conclusive: 99% of respondents are now using DevOps practices in their organizations.
It appears the focus is no longer on whether to move to DevOps; rather on how to refine their DevOps approach and improve continuously.
World Quality Report 2018-19 Findings:
- Customer satisfaction is front and center – Participants in the WQR reported that ‘Ensure user satisfaction’ is at the top of their QA and testing strategy. This would have been unthinkable ten years ago. But with customer-centered innovation driving digital transformations and the adoption of agile, DevOps, and a move to the Cloud, it is also resetting the expectations for testing.
- Challenges with test environments are holding back quality assurance and software testing efficiencies. A problem further exasperated by industry trends like reduced test cycles and releasing more regularly.
- The skills required for quality assurance and software testing have changed. Adoption of agile and DevOps, as well as technologies such as AI, Internet of Things (IoT) and blockchain, all require specific technical expertise, and teams must be prepared to acquire these new skills, whether by training their existing team members, or hiring specialists into the team.
Key Test Environment Insights
Test Environments continues to be a problem for most.
Key Test Environment Challenges Identified in the report include:
- 54% Cost of test environments
- 54% Defects due to test environment misconfiguration
- 38% Lack of test environment booking facilities
- 37% Having to maintain multiple test environment versions
- 34% Lack of visibility on what can’t be tested due to environments
- 31% Lack of right environments being made available on time
Page 36 Test Data & Environments Management.
Use Enov8 to Innovate your Test Environment Management
Enov8 provides a complete platform for addressing organisations “Test Environment” challenges through “Enterprise IT Intelligence”. Providing advanced “out of the box” IT & Test Environment Management, Release Management and Holistic Data Management capabilities.
Niall is the Co-Founder and CIO of Enov8. He has 25 years of experience working across the IT industry from Software Engineering, Architecture, IT & Test Environment Management and Executive Leadership. Niall has worked with, and advised, many global organisations covering verticals like Banking, Defence, Telecom and Information Technology Services.
03 February, 2019 By Christian Meléndez. Preamble: Following on from our previous blog on Enterprise Release Management bench-marking, Christian talks about the “sister disciple” of deployment management and more specifically the top 5 metrics one could use to better...
29 JANUARY, 2019 By Sylvia Fronczak. Anti-patterns often arise when developers find creative or outside-the-box uses for a technology - or when they find workarounds for limitations that were specifically put in place by the creators of the technology to prevent...
08 JANUARY, 2019 By Eric Goebelbecker. New technologies and new ways of doing things are continually impacting the way our IT Environments evolve and how we do things. One area of growing popularity is Microservices. Why Use Microservices? Why should you start using...
09 DECEMBER, 2018 by Sylvia Fronczak DevOps promises greater innovation, speed, and automation—along with a more engaged and motivated team. With this list of benefits, many organizations are working to bring DevOps to their teams. However, with all the companies...
22 OCTOBER, 2018 by Eric Goebelbecker Containers are nothing new. Depending on how you look at it, you can make a case for them being around at least since 1982. But since the introduction of Docker in 2013, they’ve enjoyed a surge of popularity. Why? In just a few...
15 OCTOBER, 2018 by Christian Meléndez Preamble A key part of Enterprise IT Intelligence is understanding you Cloud Resources. And where better to start than using the "elegant" concept of Tagging. A concept used across the various cloud and infrastructure management...