2018 Test Environment Management – World Quality Report
by Niall Crawford
This year’s world quality report (2018) has once again identified Test Environment Management as a major challenge for Agile Development & Testing.
This year’s world quality report (2018) has once again identified Test Environment Management as a major challenge for Agile Development & Testing. Key statistical insights from this report, which covered over 1600 organizations, included the following:
- 38% of respondents identified “defects due to test environments being incorrectly configured”
- 40% of respondents identified “difficulty in managing multiple versions of test environments”
- 41% of respondents identified “lack of facilities for managing & booking test environments”
- 46% of respondents identified “non-fit-for purpose test environments (& data)” to be biggest challenge facing Agile Development
- 47% of respondents identified “poor visibility of test environment availability”
- 48% of respondents identified “an inability to effectively manage excess Test Environments demand”
This set of results, like previous years, suggests organizations are still heavily constrained by using “agricultural” (or at very least non-integratable) Environment Management methods & tools that can’t easily scale to the agile needs of today’s digitally dependent enterprises and are most likely repeating many of the other classical environment mistakes (Ref: Test Environment Management anti-patterns), for example:
- Death by spreadsheet or email
- Deployment “Heroics”,
- Uncontrolled IT change,
- Manual unrepeatable operations &
- Generally, just a lack of insight.
The Answer to Test Environment Issues
At enov8 we believe all the challenges identified in this year’s World Quality Report can be directly addressed by adopting an “Enterprise IT Intelligence” platform like enov8 EcoSystem. An extensible “IT Transparency & Governance” solution which includes powerful features to better command and control your Environment and Release Operations.
A framework that supports your ability to:
- Model & Visualise their IT & Test Environments & IT Releases
- Standardise & Automate Applications, Data & Server Operations
- Streamline Project delivery through system disruption avoidance
- Better control IT costs through better control of infrastructure,
licensing & services and
- Bring all the information together (enterprise IT intelligence) for effective analysis and decision making.
Innovate with Enov8
If you are interested in learning more about IT & Test Environment Management and IT Release Management, contact us about EcoSystem.
Ecosystem is a fully configurable and easily integratable solution that comes with out of the box “enterprise management” functions that support IT & Test Environment Management, Release Management, IT Operations Management, Configuration Management & Service Management.
Niall is the Co-Founder and CIO of Enov8. He has 25 years of experience working across the IT industry from Software Engineering, Architecture, IT & Test Environment Management and Executive Leadership. Niall has worked with, and advised, many global organisations covering verticals like Banking, Defence, Telecom and Information Technology Services.
24 APRIL, 2019 by Mark Robinson It’s the normal case with software buzzwords that people focus so much on what something is that they forget what it is not. DevOps is no exception. To truly embrace DevOps and cherish what it is, it’s important to comprehend what it...
16 April, 2019 by Eric Goebelbecker Your organization is in the midst of an agile transformation. You know that agile is the way to go, and you're looking forward to, or maybe already reaping, some of the benefits. Who can argue with what agile brings to the table?...
28 March, 2019 by Christian Meléndez Even though containers are different from virtual machines (VMs), most of the metrics you get from a container are pretty similar to the ones you get from a VM or a physical server. What’s different is the meaning a metric has in a...
21 MARCH, 2019 by Mark Henke Preamble These days, deploying our services to the cloud just makes sense. Deploying to the cloud means you’re letting someone else handle low-level infrastructure costs, which gives us incredible flexibility. And with such flexibility...
15 March, 2019 by Vlad Georgescu Bimodal Explained *From a Release Management Perspective “The Hare and the Tortoise” is Aesop’s most famous fable. In it, we find two characters: one fast (the hare), and one slow (the tortoise). They run a race against each other,...
11 March, 2019 by Sylvia Froncza An IT and Test Environment Perspective Traditionally, test environments have been difficult to manage. For one, data exists in unpredictable or unknown states. Additionally, various applications and services contain unknown versions or...