2018 Test Environment Management – World Quality Report
by Niall Crawford
This year’s world quality report (2018) has once again identified Test Environment Management as a major challenge for Agile Development & Testing.
This year’s world quality report (2018) has once again identified Test Environment Management as a major challenge for Agile Development & Testing. Key statistical insights from this report, which covered over 1600 organizations, included the following:
- 38% of respondents identified “defects due to test environments being incorrectly configured”
- 40% of respondents identified “difficulty in managing multiple versions of test environments”
- 41% of respondents identified “lack of facilities for managing & booking test environments”
- 46% of respondents identified “non-fit-for purpose test environments (& data)” to be biggest challenge facing Agile Development
- 47% of respondents identified “poor visibility of test environment availability”
- 48% of respondents identified “an inability to effectively manage excess Test Environments demand”
This set of results, like previous years, suggests organizations are still heavily constrained by using “agricultural” (or at very least non-integratable) Environment Management methods & tools that can’t easily scale to the agile needs of today’s digitally dependent enterprises and are most likely repeating many of the other classical environment mistakes (Ref: Test Environment Management anti-patterns), for example:
- Death by spreadsheet or email
- Deployment “Heroics”,
- Uncontrolled IT change,
- Manual unrepeatable operations &
- Generally, just a lack of insight.
The Answer to Test Environment Issues
At enov8 we believe all the challenges identified in this year’s World Quality Report can be directly addressed by adopting an “Enterprise IT Intelligence” platform like enov8 EcoSystem. An extensible “IT Transparency & Governance” solution which includes powerful features to better command and control your Environment and Release Operations.
A framework that supports your ability to:
- Model & Visualise their IT & Test Environments & IT Releases
- Standardise & Automate Applications, Data & Server Operations
- Streamline Project delivery through system disruption avoidance
- Better control IT costs through better control of infrastructure,
licensing & services and
- Bring all the information together (enterprise IT intelligence) for effective analysis and decision making.
Innovate with Enov8
If you are interested in learning more about IT & Test Environment Management and IT Release Management, contact us about EcoSystem.
Ecosystem is a fully configurable and easily integratable solution that comes with out of the box “enterprise management” functions that support IT & Test Environment Management, Release Management, IT Operations Management, Configuration Management & Service Management.
Niall is the Co-Founder and CIO of Enov8. He has 25 years of experience working across the IT industry from Software Engineering, Architecture, IT & Test Environment Management and Executive Leadership. Niall has worked with, and advised, many global organisations covering verticals like Banking, Defence, Telecom and Information Technology Services.
26 JULY, 2018 by Niall Crawford Deploying an instance in AWS, Azure or Google is typically a straightforward process. However, architecting, managing and optimizing your end-to-end platforms that consist of application tiers, data tiers, integration points and...
Deployment shouldn’t be the most nerve-racking task for IT and DevOps Teams, but many times it is. But what if we’re talking about bigger systems, like those used by a major online retailer or a bank?…
Speak to any CIO nowadays and one of their top initiatives and commitment to the business will be moving to the cloud…
Some might think that because DevOps is hard to implement, it’s not for everyone, especially not large organizations. That’s not true. Outcomes are what really matter…
Whether your organization is starting an agile transformation now or is well on its way, there are always pitfalls. Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) is a big leap for most organizations. After all, even if some of your development teams…
The roles of governing Enterprise Release Management and the Deployment Management are complementary, yet involve various different functions (or sets of many hats)…