2018 Test Environment Management – World Quality Report
by Niall Crawford
This year’s world quality report (2018) has once again identified Test Environment Management as a major challenge for Agile Development & Testing.
This year’s world quality report (2018) has once again identified Test Environment Management as a major challenge for Agile Development & Testing. Key statistical insights from this report, which covered over 1600 organizations, included the following:
- 38% of respondents identified “defects due to test environments being incorrectly configured”
- 40% of respondents identified “difficulty in managing multiple versions of test environments”
- 41% of respondents identified “lack of facilities for managing & booking test environments”
- 46% of respondents identified “non-fit-for purpose test environments (& data)” to be biggest challenge facing Agile Development
- 47% of respondents identified “poor visibility of test environment availability”
- 48% of respondents identified “an inability to effectively manage excess Test Environments demand”
This set of results, like previous years, suggests organizations are still heavily constrained by using “agricultural” (or at very least non-integratable) Environment Management methods & tools that can’t easily scale to the agile needs of today’s digitally dependent enterprises and are most likely repeating many of the other classical environment mistakes (Ref: Test Environment Management anti-patterns), for example:
- Death by spreadsheet or email
- Deployment “Heroics”,
- Uncontrolled IT change,
- Manual unrepeatable operations &
- Generally, just a lack of insight.
The Answer to Test Environment Issues
At enov8 we believe all the challenges identified in this year’s World Quality Report can be directly addressed by adopting an “Enterprise IT Intelligence” platform like enov8 EcoSystem. An extensible “IT Transparency & Governance” solution which includes powerful features to better command and control your Environment and Release Operations.
A framework that supports your ability to:
- Model & Visualise their IT & Test Environments & IT Releases
- Standardise & Automate Applications, Data & Server Operations
- Streamline Project delivery through system disruption avoidance
- Better control IT costs through better control of infrastructure,
licensing & services and
- Bring all the information together (enterprise IT intelligence) for effective analysis and decision making.
Innovate with Enov8
If you are interested in learning more about IT & Test Environment Management and IT Release Management, contact us about EcoSystem.
Ecosystem is a fully configurable and easily integratable solution that comes with out of the box “enterprise management” functions that support IT & Test Environment Management, Release Management, IT Operations Management, Configuration Management & Service Management.
Niall is the Co-Founder and CIO of Enov8. He has 25 years of experience working across the IT industry from Software Engineering, Architecture, IT & Test Environment Management and Executive Leadership. Niall has worked with, and advised, many global organisations covering verticals like Banking, Defence, Telecom and Information Technology Services.
01 JULY, 2020 by Diego Gavilanes Ever since the dawn of time, test environments have been left for the end, which is a headache for the testing team. They might be ready to start testing but can’t because there’s no test environment. And often, the department in...
29 JUNE, 2020 by Carlos Schults In today’s post, we’ll discuss data literacy and its relevance in the context of GDPR. We start by defining data literacy and giving a brief overview of GDPR. Then we proceed to explain some of the challenges organizations might face...
23 June, 2020 by Arnab Roy Chowdhury In this digital era, online businesses have become mainstream. Consequently, online commerce has flourished—and led to loads and loads of data! Businesses need to build data centers to store information. Not only that, but if you...
08 JUNE, 2020 by Eric Boersma Every company needs a disaster recovery plan. This is just a simple fact of life. Your company needs to know how to recover when something breaks or you can’t get access to something you need. In larger, more advanced tech companies,...
25 May, 2020 by Daniel Longest Zombie and ghost assets sound exciting, like a late-night movie you’d watch around Halloween. While in reality they may not be that exciting, they’re scary if you don’t understand and prevent them. The good news is the steps you need to...
05 May, 2020 by Eric Boersma Taking on Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) is not an easy task. It doesn’t matter where you’re coming from. Some organizations have done a little DevOps and are trying to break into SRE. Others haven’t even taken that step, and figure...