2018 Test Environment Management – World Quality Report
by Niall Crawford
This year’s world quality report (2018) has once again identified Test Environment Management as a major challenge for Agile Development & Testing.
This year’s world quality report (2018) has once again identified Test Environment Management as a major challenge for Agile Development & Testing. Key statistical insights from this report, which covered over 1600 organizations, included the following:
- 38% of respondents identified “defects due to test environments being incorrectly configured”
- 40% of respondents identified “difficulty in managing multiple versions of test environments”
- 41% of respondents identified “lack of facilities for managing & booking test environments”
- 46% of respondents identified “non-fit-for purpose test environments (& data)” to be biggest challenge facing Agile Development
- 47% of respondents identified “poor visibility of test environment availability”
- 48% of respondents identified “an inability to effectively manage excess Test Environments demand”
This set of results, like previous years, suggests organizations are still heavily constrained by using “agricultural” (or at very least non-integratable) Environment Management methods & tools that can’t easily scale to the agile needs of today’s digitally dependent enterprises and are most likely repeating many of the other classical environment mistakes (Ref: Test Environment Management anti-patterns), for example:
- Death by spreadsheet or email
- Deployment “Heroics”,
- Uncontrolled IT change,
- Manual unrepeatable operations &
- Generally, just a lack of insight.
The Answer to Test Environment Issues
At enov8 we believe all the challenges identified in this year’s World Quality Report can be directly addressed by adopting an “Enterprise IT Intelligence” platform like enov8 EcoSystem. An extensible “IT Transparency & Governance” solution which includes powerful features to better command and control your Environment and Release Operations.
A framework that supports your ability to:
- Model & Visualise their IT & Test Environments & IT Releases
- Standardise & Automate Applications, Data & Server Operations
- Streamline Project delivery through system disruption avoidance
- Better control IT costs through better control of infrastructure,
licensing & services and
- Bring all the information together (enterprise IT intelligence) for effective analysis and decision making.
Innovate with Enov8
If you are interested in learning more about IT & Test Environment Management and IT Release Management, contact us about EcoSystem.
Ecosystem is a fully configurable and easily integratable solution that comes with out of the box “enterprise management” functions that support IT & Test Environment Management, Release Management, IT Operations Management, Configuration Management & Service Management.
Niall is the Co-Founder and CIO of Enov8. He has 25 years of experience working across the IT industry from Software Engineering, Architecture, IT & Test Environment Management and Executive Leadership. Niall has worked with, and advised, many global organisations covering verticals like Banking, Defence, Telecom and Information Technology Services.
19 FFEBRUARY, 2021 by Carlos Schults "You can't improve what you don't measure." I'm sure you're familiar with at least some variation of this phrase. The saying, often attributed to Peter Drucker, speaks to the importance of metrics as fundamental tools to enrich and...
08 FEBRUARY, 2021 by Zulaikha Greer Data is the word of the 21st century. The demand for data analysis skills has skyrocketed in the past decade. There exists an abundance of data, mostly unstructured, paired with a lack of skilled professionals and effective tools to...
04 JANUARY, 2021 by Ukpai Ugochi Have you ever wondered what would happen if you mistakenly added bugs to your codes and shipped them to users? For instance, let's say an IT firm has its primary work tree on GitHub, and a team member pushes codes with bugs to the...
07 DECEMBER 2020 by Daniel de Oliveira In today’s application-based world, companies are releasing more applications than ever before. Software delivery life cycles are becoming more complicated. As a result, large companies require hundreds and even thousands of test...
19 NOVEMBER, 2020 by Michiel Mulders What Makes a Good Test Data Manager? Have you implemented test data management at your organization? It will surely benefit you if your organization processes critical or sensitive business data. The importance of test data is...
22 October, 2020 by Louay Hazami Data privacy is one of the most pressing issues in the new digital era. Data holds so much value for normal internet users and for all types of companies that are looking to capitalize on this new resource. To keep data anonymous and...