2018 Test Environment Management–World Quality Report -enov8
WQR RecapThis year’s world quality report (2018) has once again identified Test Environment Management as a major challenge for Agile Development & Testing. Key statistical insights from this report, which covered over 1600 organizations, included the following:
- 38% of respondents identified “defects due to test environments being incorrectly configured”
- 40% of respondents identified “difficulty in managing multiple versions of test environments”
- 41% of respondents identified “lack of facilities for managing & booking test environments”
- 46% of respondents identified “non-fit-for purpose test environments (& data)” to be biggest challenge facing Agile Development
- 47% of respondents identified “poor visibility of test environment availability”
- 48% of respondents identified “an inability to effectively manage excess Test Environments demand”
Our OpinionThis set of results, like previous years, suggests organizations are still heavily constrained by using “agricultural” (or at very least non-integratable) Environment Management methods & tools that can’t easily scale to the agile needs of today’s digitally dependent enterprises and are most likely repeating many of the other classical environment mistakes (Ref: Test Environment Management anti-patterns), for example:
- Death by spreadsheet or email
- Deployment “Heroics”,
- Uncontrolled IT change,
- Manual unrepeatable operations &
- Generally, just a lack of insight.
The Answer to Test Environment IssuesAt enov8 we believe all the challenges identified in this year’s World Quality Report can be directly addressed by adopting an “Enterprise IT Intelligence” platform like enov8 EcoSystem. An extensible “IT Transparency & Governance” solution which includes powerful features to better command and control your Environment and Release Operations.A framework that supports your ability to:
- Model & Visualise their IT & Test Environments & IT Releases
- Standardise & Automate Applications, Data & Server Operations
- Streamline Project delivery through system disruption avoidance
- Better control IT costs through better control of infrastructure, licensing & services and
- Bring all the information together (enterprise IT intelligence) for effective analysis and decision making.
Innovate with Enov8If you are interested in learning more about IT & Test Environment Management and IT Release Management, contact us about EcoSystem.Enov8 EcoSystem is the worlds leading IT Enterprise Intelligence platform.Ecosystem is a fully configurable and easily integratable solution that comes with out of the box “enterprise management” functions that support IT & Test Environment Management, Release Management, IT Operations Management, Configuration Management & Service Management.
16September, 2021 by Carlos SchultsLet me start with a question: as a leader in tech, are you satisfied with the budget you have? If I had to guess, I'd say the answer is no. Because of that, calculating the return on investment of the many activities in software...
14AUGUST, 2021 by Ukpai UgochiIt is the goal of every software engineer and software development firm to continuously ship products to end users. This can only be achieved through software deployment. In this post, we'll explore deployment and deployment planning,...
09SEPTEMBER, 2021 by Eric GoebelbeckerLet’s talk about container essentials. Over the past few years, containers have transitioned from the hottest new trend to essential IT architecture. But are they are good fit for you? Are you wondering whether or not you’re using...
05AUGUST, 2021 by Alexander FridmanIn the beginning there was nothing. Then there was the monolith, though we used to simply call monoliths "software." Today we have two rival architectural types: monoliths and microservices. This post will explain what monoliths and...
15JULY, 2021 by Justin ReynoldsCompanies go to great lengths to protect their physical environments, using deterrents like locks, fences, and cameras to ward off intruders. Yet this same logic doesn’t always translate to digital security. Corporate networks — which...
06JULY, 2021 by Justin ReynoldsCompanies today face increasing challenges around reducing the time and cost of software development. Many are thus using DevOps methodologies, which combine software development and IT operations to achieve continuous delivery and...