2018 Test Environment Management – World Quality Report
by Niall Crawford
This year’s world quality report (2018) has once again identified Test Environment Management as a major challenge for Agile Development & Testing.
This year’s world quality report (2018) has once again identified Test Environment Management as a major challenge for Agile Development & Testing. Key statistical insights from this report, which covered over 1600 organizations, included the following:
- 38% of respondents identified “defects due to test environments being incorrectly configured”
- 40% of respondents identified “difficulty in managing multiple versions of test environments”
- 41% of respondents identified “lack of facilities for managing & booking test environments”
- 46% of respondents identified “non-fit-for purpose test environments (& data)” to be biggest challenge facing Agile Development
- 47% of respondents identified “poor visibility of test environment availability”
- 48% of respondents identified “an inability to effectively manage excess Test Environments demand”
This set of results, like previous years, suggests organizations are still heavily constrained by using “agricultural” (or at very least non-integratable) Environment Management methods & tools that can’t easily scale to the agile needs of today’s digitally dependent enterprises and are most likely repeating many of the other classical environment mistakes (Ref: Test Environment Management anti-patterns), for example:
- Death by spreadsheet or email
- Deployment “Heroics”,
- Uncontrolled IT change,
- Manual unrepeatable operations &
- Generally, just a lack of insight.
The Answer to Test Environment Issues
At enov8 we believe all the challenges identified in this year’s World Quality Report can be directly addressed by adopting an “Enterprise IT Intelligence” platform like enov8 EcoSystem. An extensible “IT Transparency & Governance” solution which includes powerful features to better command and control your Environment and Release Operations.
A framework that supports your ability to:
- Model & Visualise their IT & Test Environments & IT Releases
- Standardise & Automate Applications, Data & Server Operations
- Streamline Project delivery through system disruption avoidance
- Better control IT costs through better control of infrastructure,
licensing & services and
- Bring all the information together (enterprise IT intelligence) for effective analysis and decision making.
Innovate with Enov8
If you are interested in learning more about IT & Test Environment Management and IT Release Management, contact us about EcoSystem.
Ecosystem is a fully configurable and easily integratable solution that comes with out of the box “enterprise management” functions that support IT & Test Environment Management, Release Management, IT Operations Management, Configuration Management & Service Management.
Niall is the Co-Founder and CIO of Enov8. He has 25 years of experience working across the IT industry from Software Engineering, Architecture, IT & Test Environment Management and Executive Leadership. Niall has worked with, and advised, many global organisations covering verticals like Banking, Defence, Telecom and Information Technology Services.
13 AUGUST, 2019 by Jane Temov So, you’ve been asked to write a “Test Environment Management Plan”? Or perhaps you just want to write a plan to baseline your current non-production processes, outline future test environment strategy and/or educate those around you. *...
02 AUGUST, 2019 by Eric Olsson Preamble Software is buggy. It's a bold claim, I know. Sarcasm aside, the battle to keep your applications up and running is ongoing. Wouldn't it be nice if you had a way to eliminate an entire class of bugs from your application?...
15 JULY, 2019 by Peter Morlion Martin Fowler AntiPattern "An antipattern is a solution that initially looks like an attractive road lined with flowers... but further on leads you into a maze filled with monsters." Since the dawn of computers, we’ve always had to...
26 June, 2019 by Justin Reynolds Gone are the days of monolithic software applications. In today’s microservices-and-continuous-integration driven world, where apps run in hybrid cloud environments and users engage with them on any device and on any underlying...
03 JULY, 2019 by Justin Reynolds Even since the agile manifesto was published in 2001, software development has never been the same. In a pre-agile world, software was released in monolithic packages every year or every two years. The agile approach to development...
20 MAY, 2019 by Mark Henke It’s a great step when teams deliberately manage their deployments instead of treating them as second-class citizens to writing code. But there are many pitfalls to managing deployments effectively. Many things lurk, waiting to trip us up....