2018 Test Environment Management – World Quality Report
by Niall Crawford
This year’s world quality report (2018) has once again identified Test Environment Management as a major challenge for Agile Development & Testing.
This year’s world quality report (2018) has once again identified Test Environment Management as a major challenge for Agile Development & Testing. Key statistical insights from this report, which covered over 1600 organizations, included the following:
- 38% of respondents identified “defects due to test environments being incorrectly configured”
- 40% of respondents identified “difficulty in managing multiple versions of test environments”
- 41% of respondents identified “lack of facilities for managing & booking test environments”
- 46% of respondents identified “non-fit-for purpose test environments (& data)” to be biggest challenge facing Agile Development
- 47% of respondents identified “poor visibility of test environment availability”
- 48% of respondents identified “an inability to effectively manage excess Test Environments demand”
This set of results, like previous years, suggests organizations are still heavily constrained by using “agricultural” (or at very least non-integratable) Environment Management methods & tools that can’t easily scale to the agile needs of today’s digitally dependent enterprises and are most likely repeating many of the other classical environment mistakes (Ref: Test Environment Management anti-patterns), for example:
- Death by spreadsheet or email
- Deployment “Heroics”,
- Uncontrolled IT change,
- Manual unrepeatable operations &
- Generally, just a lack of insight.
The Answer to Test Environment Issues
At enov8 we believe all the challenges identified in this year’s World Quality Report can be directly addressed by adopting an “Enterprise IT Intelligence” platform like enov8 EcoSystem. An extensible “IT Transparency & Governance” solution which includes powerful features to better command and control your Environment and Release Operations.
A framework that supports your ability to:
- Model & Visualise their IT & Test Environments & IT Releases
- Standardise & Automate Applications, Data & Server Operations
- Streamline Project delivery through system disruption avoidance
- Better control IT costs through better control of infrastructure,
licensing & services and
- Bring all the information together (enterprise IT intelligence) for effective analysis and decision making.
Innovate with Enov8
If you are interested in learning more about IT & Test Environment Management and IT Release Management, contact us about EcoSystem.
Ecosystem is a fully configurable and easily integratable solution that comes with out of the box “enterprise management” functions that support IT & Test Environment Management, Release Management, IT Operations Management, Configuration Management & Service Management.
Niall is the Co-Founder and CIO of Enov8. He has 25 years of experience working across the IT industry from Software Engineering, Architecture, IT & Test Environment Management and Executive Leadership. Niall has worked with, and advised, many global organisations covering verticals like Banking, Defence, Telecom and Information Technology Services.
24JUNE, 2021 by Omkar HiremathInformation technology and the digital world don’t exist without data. The data of an organization can contain a lot of unclassified, as well as classified information. Irrespective of that, only authorized personnel should have access to...
14JUNE, 2021 by Kathrin PaschenManaging releases at scale is daunting. It involves juggling dependencies, timelines, and requirements. The stakes can be pretty high, too. Not all failures are as spectacular as crashing a lunar lander or losing $440 million. Even so,...
28MAY, 2021 by Sasmito AdibowoThe benefits of using cloud environments to store and access data over the Internet has been highly beneficial for many businesses. Cloud environments help both start-ups and enterprises scale up conveniently. However, as with other major...
10MAY, 2021 by Eric GoebelbeckerImagine a technology that lets you focus on your business logic and that takes care of issues like reliability and scaling for you. What would it be like if you only had to pay for the computing time you use rather than pay by the day,...
21APRIL, 2021 by Zulaikha GreerWhat Is Privacy by Design? Millions of dollars go into securing the data and privacy of an organization. Still, malicious attacks, unnecessary third-party access, and other data security issues still prevail. While there is no definite...
31MARCH, 2021 by Ukpai UgochiSo, As the leader of a DevOps or agile team at a rising software company, how do you ensure that users' sensitive information is properly secured? Users are on the internet on a daily basis for communication, business, and so on. While...