2018 Test Environment Management–World Quality Report -enov8
WQR RecapThis year’s world quality report (2018) has once again identified Test Environment Management as a major challenge for Agile Development & Testing. Key statistical insights from this report, which covered over 1600 organizations, included the following:
- 38% of respondents identified “defects due to test environments being incorrectly configured”
- 40% of respondents identified “difficulty in managing multiple versions of test environments”
- 41% of respondents identified “lack of facilities for managing & booking test environments”
- 46% of respondents identified “non-fit-for purpose test environments (& data)” to be biggest challenge facing Agile Development
- 47% of respondents identified “poor visibility of test environment availability”
- 48% of respondents identified “an inability to effectively manage excess Test Environments demand”
Our OpinionThis set of results, like previous years, suggests organizations are still heavily constrained by using “agricultural” (or at very least non-integratable) Environment Management methods & tools that can’t easily scale to the agile needs of today’s digitally dependent enterprises and are most likely repeating many of the other classical environment mistakes (Ref: Test Environment Management anti-patterns), for example:
- Death by spreadsheet or email
- Deployment “Heroics”,
- Uncontrolled IT change,
- Manual unrepeatable operations &
- Generally, just a lack of insight.
The Answer to Test Environment IssuesAt enov8 we believe all the challenges identified in this year’s World Quality Report can be directly addressed by adopting an “Enterprise IT Intelligence” platform like enov8 EcoSystem. An extensible “IT Transparency & Governance” solution which includes powerful features to better command and control your Environment and Release Operations. A framework that supports your ability to:
- Model & Visualise their IT & Test Environments & IT Releases
- Standardise & Automate Applications, Data & Server Operations
- Streamline Project delivery through system disruption avoidance
- Better control IT costs through better control of infrastructure, licensing & services and
- Bring all the information together (enterprise IT intelligence) for effective analysis and decision making.
Innovate with Enov8If you are interested in learning more about IT & Test Environment Management and IT Release Management, contact us about EcoSystem. Enov8 EcoSystem is the worlds leading IT Enterprise Intelligence platform. Ecosystem is a fully configurable and easily integratable solution that comes with out of the box “enterprise management” functions that support IT & Test Environment Management, Release Management, IT Operations Management, Configuration Management & Service Management.
03JUNE, 2022 by Niall Crawford & Carlos "Kami" Maldonado. Modified by Eric Goebelbecker.DevOps at scale is what we call the process of implementing DevOps culture at big, structured companies. Although the DevOps term was back in 2009, most organizations still...
Test Environment Management Explained3JUNE, 2022 by Erik Dietrich, Ukpai Ugochi, and Jane Temov. Modified by Eric GoebelbeckerMost companies spend between 45%-55% of their IT budget on non-production activities like Training, Development & Testing and lose 20-40%...
3JUNE, 2022 by Eric GoebelbeckerWhat Is Serverless Computing? Serverless computing is a cloud architecture where you don’t have to worry about buying, building, provisioning, or maintaining servers. In return for structuring your code around their APIs, your cloud...
25MAY, 2022 by Niall Crawford & Justin Reynolds. Modified by Eric Goebelbecker.So, you’ve decided to implement a Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) and promote a continuous delivery pipeline by implementing “Agile Release Trains” (ART)*. Definition: An Agile Release...
24MAY, 2022 by Michiel Mulders. Modified by Eric Goebelbecker.With the cost of data breaches increasing every year, there’s a need for higher security standards. According to IBM’s 2021 security report, the average total cost of a data breach has risen to $4.24...
24MAY, 2022 by Keshav MalikWith the rise of agile development methodologies, the need to quickly test new features is more critical than ever. This is especially true for websites and applications that rely on real-time data and interaction. The only way to ensure...