Are Your IT Environments?
Kent beck, the inventor of XP extreme programming, once wrote about the concept of “Smelly Code”.
Given IT Environments seem to be a significant challenge for so many organizations, it got us thinking:
What might “Smelly IT Environments” smell of?
In a nutshell, here is our top 8 list of things that indicate your IT & Test Environments smell like a Kipper.
- Use of spreadsheets to manage & track your Test Environments
- A CMDB that only ever focuses on the Infrastructure Components
- Too many Test Environment System Instances (causing overspend)
- Too few Test Environment System Instances (causing contention)
- Inability to identify current and future Test environment demand
- Lack of End to End Data Integrity
- Inconsistent & Slow IT Environment operations
- Manual information gathering & reporting
Learn more about implementing IT Environment Transparency & Governance with enov8.
Do you ever wonder why the environment preparation or releases take so long? After all, the company just invested “zillions” on a whole bunch of great tools and a cloud framework.
So, you have decided you’re going to implement a Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) and promote a continuous delivery pipeline by implementing “Agile Release Trains”…
It goes without saying, that the backbone of all organizations today is digital and independent of the end-products you provide, there is an inherent need to drive your features and solutions from conception to production…
I am continually ‘un-amazed’ when I go into large organizations and look at their ‘DevOps’ strategy. At a team level, it’s invariably no different to what we were doing back in the late 90’s…
The intention of environment synthetics is to provide ‘high-level of confidence’ applications (your system instances e.g. UAT Home Loan System) and their underlying component services…
DevOps & DevOps at Scale is little a bit like comparing the building of Sand Castles on a Beach to Town Planning. Here are 5 practices to promote as a way of preparing for a DevOps at scale capability…